Please adhere to the following guidelines. If you fail to do so, we may not be able to accept your submission.
Before uploading your file, please make sure that your file is named properly (title of the piece) and that the content of the file does not include your name. If your name is on your submission it may not be reviewed. (Media is the only exception to the blind judging rule, as we recognize it’s difficult to remove the credits from the introductions of some short films.)
Proper file formats are as follows:
Poetry, Nonfiction, Fiction, Scripts: Must be submitted in either pdf, docx*, or rtf. Please submit all of your poems in one file (this is for our organizational purposes).
*If you used track changes or other editing software make sure you have resolved the edits or they will appear in your submission.
Scripts originally written in celtx.: Must be submitted in pdf form.
- Scan the work if possible and submit the image.
- If you cannot scan the work, take a quality photo of the work that accurately represents the original.
- The photo must be 72 ppi or more for the online edition, and 300 dpi or more for the print edition.
- Light the artwork evenly so that there are no shadows or light beams on the surface of the work.
- Crop the photo around the work so that nothing but the artwork is in the photo.
- Submit 2-3 photos of the work from different angles.
- Photograph the work the way you intend to present it. For example, on a pedestal or hung from the ceiling, etc.
- In the photograph, include the space that the work occupies.
- Do not include objects in the photo other than the work.
- For film, submit a Word .docx file or .pdf with a video link to your short film.
- For music, upload the audio file for your song or submit a document with a video link to your song.
- If there is sheet music to accompany your audio file, upload it in a separate submission under the same title.
What can I submit?
Vortex magazine accepts 2D art (of all kinds), photographed sculpture, graphic design, photography, comics, illustrated narratives, hybrid work, poetry, fiction, nonfiction, lyric essays, screenplays, stageplays, recorded original music compositions (online editions only), and short films (online only) to be considered for publication.
Who is eligible for publication in Vortex?
Any student currently enrolled at the University of Central Arkansas is eligible to submit. If a student graduated in December 2018, he or she is still eligible for publication in the 2018 – 2019 hard copy magazine published in April.
Are there limits on what I can and cannot submit?
There are very few limitations on what and how many works one may submit. You must be a student in the 2018 – 2019 school year to submit your work. You can submit anything you would like as long as it is original.There are no limitations on content or word count.
How many pieces can I submit?
As many as you would like. We will consider every submission that comes in as long as it is labeled with a student ID number.
How are submissions judged?
All pieces are judged “blind.” Judges and Section Editors find out who submitted a piece after it has been selected for publication. For online editions each piece will receive a vote of yes or no and must have a 75% rate of yes votes and approval from the managing editors in order to be published. For the annual print edition, however, each piece will be considered and voted on in a round-table discussion by the judges and section editor for every section.
If I submit to the Vortex can I get published somewhere else?
The Vortex holds First Rights for any piece published in our online or print editions. Any work previously submitted to other publications, or published elsewhere (including online self publications), WILL NOT be accepted to any edition.
Submissions will be open from December 1 to January 14 at noon.